Monday, May 7, 2012

NAEA Conference: TASK

In early March NAEA held its National Conference in New York City, at the Hilton and Sheridan hotels. As an official member of NAEA, I could not pass up the opportunity to go to the conference that was so close in location.  The conference spanned a four day period, but since I had class Thursday and Friday, I only participated in the weekend festivities and talks.  I thought the conference had a lot of great speakers and artists, including Chuck Close and LaToya Ruby Frazier.  One activity that was located at the Sheridan Hotel on Saturday was the "TASK" event.  The activity consisted of people writing down a task on a piece of paper and  putting it into a box, labeled "New Tasks."  If you choose a task from this box, you have to preform whatever activity the task tells you to do!  When you are done, you put the piece of paper in the box labeled "Completed Tasks."  The room where this event was held was covered in all sorts of art supplies, and it was filled with people working both individually and collaboratively.  I was able to take a video recording of the scene which I plan to incorporate into my video documentary.  The energy in the room was amazing, and the willingness to participate in collaborative art activities among strangers was something that I thought was very rewarding.



No comments:

Post a Comment